If you want to sell or buy something, the best way to do it is through the awesome power of the internet. You get to access more people, and you get to target the right kind of people with your offers.
This is where WooCommerce comes in – a powerful, yet versatile e-store tool. Following in WordPress’s footsteps, WooCommerce has made it easier than ever to turn your website into a commercial one.
But how big is the ecommerce platform?
We’ve gathered some WooCommerce stats to show you just that.
Here are some amazing WooCommerce statistics that are sure amaze you (if you’re into that sort of thing)…
- 3,876,748 websites are currently using WooCommerce
- WooCommerce is used by 4.9% of all websites on the internet
- WooCommerce powers over 28.2% of all online stores on the internet
- 22% of the top 1 million ecommerce webites use WooCommerce
- 93.7% of all WordPress ecommerce websites use WooCommerce
- WooCommerce is the most popular plugin on the entire internet – with 68% usage distribution
- There are 1,326 WooCommerce themes on ThemeForest alone
- There are 1,773 WooCommerce plugins on CodeCanyon alone
- There are 980 plugins for WooCommerce on WordPress.org alone
How did it all begin?
WooCommerce began as just another WordPress plugin way back in 2008, developed by a company called WooThemes. WooCommerce experienced steady growth, reaching 7 million downloads by 2015.
In 2015 WooCommerce was acquired by Automattic, the company behind WordPress. Since then WooCommerce has became a leader in ecommerce, with over 70 million downloads to date, powering 28% of all online stores.
WooCommerce Usage Statistics, 2020
Here are some raw numbers that make it instantly obvious how WooCommerce has become so popular.
- There are currently 3,317,205 websites using WooCommerce. (Source: BuiltWith)
- WooCommerce is used by 5.7% of all the websites on the internet. (Source: w3techs)
- WooCommerce has been downloaded 82,090,926 times (and counting). (Source: WooCommerce)
- WooCommerce powers almost 30% of all online stores. The second largest market share goes to Squarespace Online Stores with 18.8%, followed by Shopify with 10.8%. (Source: Datanyze)
- WooCommerce powers 22% of the top 1 million ecommerce websites. (Source: BuiltWith)
- WooCommerce is the second-fastest-growing content management system (CMS), behind only WordPress. (Source: w3techs)
- 93.7% of all WordPress ecommerce websites use WooCommerce. (Source: barn2)
- With a 68% usage distribution, WooCommerce is the most popular plugin on the internet among any CMS. (Source: BuiltWith)
- WooCommerce is in use by 2.4 million more websites than Magento. (Source: BuiltWith)
- Shopify is still the leader among all ecommerce sites with 22% market penetration. (Source: BuiltWith)
- There are currently 1,326 WooCommerce themes available on ThemeForest alone. (Source: ThemeForest)
- Flatsome, the most popular WooCommerce theme on ThemeForest, has amassed more than 119,100 sales to date. (Source: ThemeForest)
- There are currently almost 1,000 plugins for WooCommerce on WordPress.org. (Source: barn2)
- There are currently 1,773 WooCommerce plugins on CodeCanyon. (Source: CodeCanyon)
- Amazon Affiliates is the most popular WooCommerce plugin on CodeCanyon with more than 27,900 sales to date. (Source: CodeCanyon)
- WooCommerce currently supports 56 languages. (Source: WordPress.org)
- 419,458 is the record for WooCommerce downloads in a single day. (Source: WordPress.org)
- WooCommerce offers integration with more than 30 payment gateways for automatic recurring payments, including Stripe, PayPal, Moneris and Square. (Source: WooCommerce)
- Metorik is the most popular WooCommerce analytics and reporting plugin on WordPress.org, with more than 4,000 installations,. (Source: WordPress.org)
- WooCommerce powered sites generated between $10 and $15 billion in sales in 2018. (Source: WPTavern)
- WooCommerce plugin sales are expected to generate more than $30M in 2018. (Source: WPTavern)
We’re the WooCommerce Experts!
If you want to learn more about how we can help you create an amazing online store using WooCommerce contact us and one of our WooCommerce experts will get back to you right away.